to wake up: to arise from sleep, to awaken (S) Compare wake up and get up as used in the first example.
- Maggie wore up this morning very early, but she did not get up until about tern o’clock.
- My alarm clock wares me up at the same time every day.
to be in charge of: to manage, to have resposibility for
- Jane is in charge of the office while Mrs. Haig is on a business trip.
- Who is in charge of arrangements for the dance next week?
as soon as: just after, when
- As soon as it started to snow, the children ran outside with big smiles on their faces.
- I’m busy now, but I’ll meet you as soon as I’ve finished this work.
to have a good time: to enjoy oneself
- We all had a good time at the class reunion last night.
- Did you have a good time at the park? I really enjoyed it.
in no time: very quickly, rapidly
- This idiom can be used with the idiom at all to add empahasis to the certainty of the ststement.
- Mac said that he’d be ready to leave in no time.
- We thought that the meeting would take two hours, but it was over in no time at all.
to cut down on: to reduce, to leesen (also: to cut back on)
- In order to lose weight, you have to cut down on your intake of sugar.
- The doctor told me to cut back on exercise until my back injury heals.
to crack down on: to enforce or punish strictly
- The school has started to crack down on smoking. Students who smoke on campus will be suspended.
- Maura is finally cracking down on her son and making him help with the housework.
quite a few many
- We did not expect many people to attend the affair, but quite a few of our friends actually came.
used to: formerly did, had the habit of
This idiom is used to indicate a post situation, action, or habit that does not exist in the present. The idioms is always followed by verb form.
- I used to live in New York, but I moved to California two years ago.
to be used to: be accustomed to
This idiom refers to a situation, action, or habit that continues in the present. The odiom is always followed by a noun or gerund phrase.
He is used to this climate now, so the changes in temperature do not affect him much.